Score a Goal of a Different Kind
Soccer has a problem in the United States. Despite record numbers of children participating in the sport, America does not seem to follow the sport or support professional teams. So the Galaxy Management group is trying an experiment in transformational leadership. Hiring David Beckham, international soccer star, at a cost of 250 million dollars could transform the profile of soccer in the United States at the highest level. "I think soccer (in America) has a huge, huge potential. I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't believe in this project," Beckham said.
Beckham will face the same challenges as any leader as he joins the Los Angeles soccer team. He should try to:
Transformational leaders are measured on how well they develop the full potential of those around them not just themselves. Beckham realizes this when he says, "I'm coming there not to be a super star; I am coming there to be part of the team, to work hard and hopefully win."
Transformational leaders are measured on how well they develop the full potential of those around them not just themselves.
- Build trust
- Inspire other team members
- Bring out the best in peers and associates
- Encourage creativity and innovation
In the business world, it may not be as obvious how to change and lead in a way that really impacts performance. Here are some actions to consider:
Transformational leaders can bring a company to a new level-there's a higher commitment to the company, a positive organizational climate and performance results are stronger. Help your team come out on top by learning more about transformational leadership at www.leadership-solutions.info and click on the link to MLQ.
- Improve the decision making process to increase effectiveness.
- Avoid judging associates and treat each person as an individual.
- Champion others' ideas to management.
- Articulate enthusiasm and optimism for the future.
- Seek different perspectives when problem-solving.
- Spend time teaching and coaching.